Dr. Parnell received her undergraduate degree at North Carolina State University. She completed her Doctor of Optometry degree at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry. She completed internships in retina and ocular disease in Raleigh, North Carolina and Farmington, New Mexico, as well as in primary care in Sanford, North Carolina.
After completing her education, Dr. Parnell, a native of North Carolina, moved to the Southport area in late 1999. She founded Perceptions Eye Health and Wellness in 2005 with the vision of establishing an eye care practice where patients receive personalized care focusing on the individualized needs of her patients.
Her areas of expertise/interest include:
- Clinical Director for Perceptions Centers of Excellence, including dry eye center, macular degeneration center and wellness center.
- Ocular Disease Management, including Diabetes, Macular Degeneration, Glaucoma, and Dry Eye.
- Preventive Medicine, including nutrition, food allergies, hormones, adrenal fatigue, as they relate to the visual system.
- American Optometric Association
- NC State Optometric Society
- NC State Optometric Society Southeastern District
Dr. Parnell enjoys spending her leisure time participating in many outdoor activities including paddle boarding, boating and enjoying our area beaches. She enjoys all types of exercising from hiking and skiing to kickboxing.
Additionally, she spends her free time with her son, Tanner, who is five years old.
- Lions Club
- Communities in Schools
- Waves for Kids
- Attends Trinity United Methodist Church
You can get an eye exam anywhere, but at Perceptions, you will get an eyecare experience, customized prescriptions and treatment care plans designed to enhance your sight and your style. But most importantly you will learn how to prevent blinding eye diseases and maintain healthy vision for a lifetime.